Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Jackson Truth

     I've heard people say that in your entire life you can only count on one hand how many true close friends you will have.  I'm not sure if that is true, but one thing I do know is that some friends come closer to you than others.  Some will be there no matter what kind of mess you have found yourself in.  I think I have a good set of friends.  One particular set, the Jacksons (Jon, Jess, Terri, Mike, and extended family) are the one's I would like to tell you about for a moment.    

     Several years ago, I was having relationship problems.  I wasn't where I was supposed to be mentally, or spiritually really because of that.  I thought I knew what I was doing; man was I ever wrong.  Surfing the web one day, out of nowhere a guy instant messaged me and we chatted a bit.  It wasn't long before we texted and met up one day at steak n shake.  This was completely out of my character at the time.  I was used to my own little world that I didn't even realize at the time I was miserable in.  I didn't know why I gained a random friend but I knew that not much else at the time could make me laugh other that Josh's quirky jokes at the theater, than hanging with Jon and company.  A little while later events that had crushed me, repeated themselves.  I needed to go.  I needed a change of scenery.  I needed to get rid of all of the negativity and focus on myself.  Who was the first person to reach out?  Jon Jackson.

     4 years ago I moved in with Jon and family, somewhat at his persistence, and somewhat because of the fact that it was good timing and it seemed like a good idea.  At first I had reservations due to the fact that I couldn't pay rent right away, and I felt like I was impeding on someones family time.  Quickly I became less reserved because of the their welcoming nature.  Throughout these 4 years I have personally had ups and downs, made my share of mistakes.  But the one constant thing is that no matter what I did, they were always there to support me.  It didn't take long for me to realize that they were family to me, and I seemed to feel like family to them.  There were so many times in which they were there for me.  They would never tell you these times because that isn't in their nature.  Just little things here and there.  Some not so little.  One Christmas I was having trouble getting money for my girls' Christmas gifts.  Out of nowhere they said "lets go to the store and get some stuff for the girls".  I literally had to fight back tears for most of that evening.  I don't know if it was because I had to swallow my pride a little to do it, or because I didn't feel like I deserved for someone to be that nice to me.  I could mention many stories of this nature. 

     Today I moved out of the Jackson house.  I have been so blessed with things going on lately that I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around it.  But I feel like not much of this would have been possible without the Jacksons' friendship, and my journey learning life lessons and growing into a more passionate christian throughout these last four years.  I have a lot to look forward to, but I freely admit that I'll miss being around, on a daily basis, undoubtably some of the best friends I will ever have.  It was no coincidence that I met Jon during a pivotal time in my life.  Thank you, Jacksons, for allowing me to use you as a significant piece of my lifes puzzle.  You will always be my friends. You will always be my family.  Much love.

Gabe

   

No comments:

Post a Comment