Friday, July 22, 2011

The ups and downs of a 2011 Gabe summer

     Its close to 11:30pm, and I have to be up at 3:15am to leave for Atlanta.  I don't feel physically tired at all, so that's probably not good, but I'll be fine.  I have to drop my two daughters off to their mother, who lives in Florida.  Atlanta is the half way point, but its still an 8 hour drive one way if I never stopped.  But my fiance, Kayleigh, is going with us, so it will be a nice little road trip of sorts.

     We have had lots of fun this summer while they have been here these past 5 weeks.  I am very sad to see them go back, I miss them a ton when they are away.  But I have a lot to be happy about, so I won't dwell on that too long.  I mean if I look at where I am now as opposed to a couple years ago, or even a summer ago, so many positive things have happened for me.  I buried some past issues, I'm engaged, I have a much better car for these trips, I've met so many great people.  I could go on and on about how once I dedicated myself, fully, to being a christian and put everything in God's hands, he just opens doors.  I'll try to keep it focused on my girls here though.

     Jazmyn is growing up, physically, so fast its hard for me to comprehend.  She picked me up (163lbs) off the ground without too much effort.  She is definitely growing into those preteen phases that can be challenging at times for a parent.  Lexi hasn't changed much, still is emotional and reserved compared to Jaz, but I like that they are different.  I love being with them and strangely enough, I like disciplining them and talking to them when I have to.  It may sound weird to some, but when you don't see your kids as often as you wish, you even miss the correctional times.  They get along great with other kids of their own age usually, not so much though with each other.  Most of the time they are fine but I think they have gotten considerably worse over the last few years as far as getting along with each other.  It worries me.  I often think about how I highly doubt it would be as bad as it is if they were with me all the time, or even just a normal amount of time.  I don't have all the answers and I know sometimes that's just how kids are and you can only do so much... but I really believe that it would be better.  That's not a knock on anyone else, its just my opinion.  I guess I shouldn't dwell on that, and just keep trying to do as much as I can with what I have.

     I have had a lot of help this summer from Kayleigh, her parents, Becky, Holly, my parents, and others I'm sure I am leaving out.  I sincerely appreciate every ounce of energy or resources that helped me.  I don't know how I'd do it without the love and kindness of my friends, my family, kayleighs family, and others.  For when I didn't have the girls I am thankful also for Christy and her family for helping there, because there's no way I could pay for a sitter, and continue to pay support and everything else.
    
     As this summer (with my girls) comes to a close, I will reflect back on the fun times we had together and the memories we will keep forever.  We had a blast!  Keep us in your prayers as we will be on the road for many hours tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Have a safe trip Gabe. You are a wonderful father, I'm sure. And being a Christian, I know you know that everything happens for a reason!!! (even if we don't know what that reason is!) Your girls are lucky to have you :) And the great thing about Jazmyn growing up is that maybe you can develop a relationship with her over the internet. E-mailing each other back and forth could be a great way to spend time with each other even when you're not together :) Best of luck and many many prayers to you!!!

    ReplyDelete